If you're like me, you love how easy and convenient it is to take pictures on your iPhone — so easy, in fact, that your camera roll is filled with hundred — er, thousands — of photos of your family, friends, travels, pets, and more. While it's a great tool for capturing memories, having any kind of order or trying to find or arrange photos on your phone — aside from searching through the dates — can prove difficult.
If you've ever wanted to rearrange the order of the photos on your phone, there's a way to do it — but it does take a bit of a hack.
Unfortunately, there's no way to rearrange pictures on your main camera roll — that's the one that's organised by date and contains every photo you've ever taken and haven't deleted. The good news? All you have to do to rearrange the order of a specific number of photos is to create a customised album — which can contain as many photos as you want — then use Apple's drag-and-drop feature to arrange them in whatever order you want.
Try it out by opening the Photos app on your iPhone and following the steps below. (Note that this process only works in user-created albums, not in default albums like Favourites or the "People & Places" albums. It also won't work in shared albums.)
- Make sure "Photos" is selected in the bottom row of icons, and that "All Photos" is selected in the row of choices directly above that.
- Click "Select" at the top right of the screen and tap on each photo you want to include. You should see a blue check mark at the bottom right of any photo you've selected. To select multiple photos that are close together in the camera roll, swipe across columns or rows. (If you've accidentally selected a photo you don't want to include, tap it again to de-select it.)
- Once you've selected all the photos you want to include, tap on the icon in the bottom left corner of the screen that looks like a box with an upward-pointing arrow in the centre of it.
- Scroll down until you see the option "Add to Album." Select that option.
- The first option you see will be "New Album." Select that and make up a name for the album.
- The app will now return you to the main camera roll. Select "Albums" in the bottom row of icons and find the album you just created.
- To move a photo in that album, tap and hold the photo until it enlarges. Slowly move the photo until it starts to get smaller, then put it wherever you want it in the album. The other photos will rearrange themselves accordingly.