Dating someone similar to you can surely have its ups and downs. You probably often vibe with people that have the same sign as you, but does that really set you up for a compatible relationship, or are you better off steering clear and finding another who can balance you out more? The biggest thing to keep in mind is that it does depend on the signs to a degree, but here's what the experts have to say.
One advantage of dating a person with the same sun sign (which is the zodiac sign you typically think of) is that you understand each other. "How you see the world, your approach to life, your values, and your quirks are likely to be similar," astrologer Skye Alexander, author of Magickal Astrology, tells POPSUGAR. Cancers, for example, tend to be homebodies and enjoy spending quiet time with a significant other. Sagittarians, by contrast, are active people who like to be on the go. So, dating someone with similar features can make things easier in terms of building a life together.
Sometimes you can get too much of the same energy, and you're likely to mirror each other's shortcomings. "Two Libras might have trouble making decisions and vacillate endlessly, even over little things, like where to go for dinner, and two Leos may get into ego battles from both wanting to be the centre of attention," Skye explains.
Signs That Work Best
- A Taurus is "probably the best match for same-sign compatibility," Joshua MacGuire ("Joshua the Psychic"), psychic, corporate astrology workshop facilitator, and event entertainer in Los Angeles, tells POPSUGAR. "They're very practical and stuck in their ways, so if they meet each other early enough, they can acquiesce with the other, based on the issue."
- A Leo can also be a good fit for another Leo. "It works because a lot of Leos aren't of the boasting or arrogant variety," he continues. "Many Leos have a 'thorn in their paw,' which keeps them from acting out (read: roar) so the other one gets to be more of the lion," he says. When the subdued Leo means business, the other one knows well enough to back down, as it'll be quite the battle without restraint. "This pair can be extremely fun, loving, and romantic together," he says.
- Libras also go well together. "Libras are all about partnership and balance," he says. The only caveat is that they must take the high road in the relationship, where "balancing each other" could become a theatre of war if they're not committed to a union filled with love.
- Sagittarius can find happiness with another Sag pretty easily. "Sagittarians need a long leash and the luxury to explore the world. If each Sagittarius recognises in each other their innate need to expand, it's a harmonious union," he says.
- Pisces can also work, but only if they're supercommitted and don't go off into their own heads and dream alone too much. "Pisces is a sign of sacrifice, which gives them the ability to easily care for the other, which can create a harmonious union.
- Virgos can often complement other Virgos. "Virgos are pretty self-contained. They're chill and have good boundaries and communication skills, which they appreciate in each other," he says.
Signs That Don't Do Quite as Well
- Aries, be wary of another Aries. "This rarely works out well. Aries are very 'me first,' and it's tough for them to constantly make adjustments, making the other person number one," Joshua explains. Aries is also the child of the zodiac; they want to be the one who is taken care of, so one of them is likely to suffer neglect.
- Geminis can also be tricky. "It's hard for them to be grounded enough with each other to build something long-lasting," he says. Being so airy, it's helpful for a Gemini's partner to "hold down the fort," as they can be all over the place, so they need a more grounding partner.
- Cancers don't do well with other Cancers. "They're so touchy, that the two of them together is a lifestyle of passive-aggressive eggshell walking," he continues. Being supersensitive, Cancers get other people to treat them with kid gloves, but often don't lend the same consideration to others. "For a such a sensitive sign, they can be surprisingly insensitive," he says. Ouch.
- Capricorns should stick to dating other signs. "Capricorns need to be in leadership positions in order to be comfortable, which creates strife when both partners want to lead and navigate the relationship," he says.
- An Aquarius isn't so great with another. "They go through extremes of wanting to be alone or with people all the time," Joshua explains. "If their internal timing isn't aligned, they can be like ships in the night, never coming together," he says. They can also be emotionally detached, where "I don't care" is their catch phrase.
Then There's Scorpio
This can either be really good or really bad. "Scorpios are extremists by nature, so the chances of one Scorpio balancing out the other isn't likely," he reveals. "They're both control freaks, which is fine so long as they like controlling different things." What will make two Scorpios work is their dedication to truth, which can create a relationship grounded in trust.