On 8 April, Charlyne Yi used Instagram to call out Seth Rogen for enabling James Franco's abusive behaviour. Now, Seth has finally addressed her comments in a 9 May interview with The Sunday Times. "What I can say is that I despise abuse and harassment and I would never cover or conceal the actions of someone doing it, or knowingly put someone in a situation where they were around someone like that," the 39-year-old actor said of the accusations. This non-answer is on par with what we've come to expect from male celebrities when they're asked to hold themselves and their friends accountable for past actions.
Instead of addressing his alleged role as an enabler, he deflected, much like he did when the allegations against James came to light in 2018. Seth previously told Vulture: "The truth is that my perspective on this is the least relevant perspective. I'm friends with these people and I'm a dude. All that combined makes me the last person who should be talking about this." In the same 2018 interview, he also said the allegations hadn't changed his willingness to work with James in the future. However, he's since changed his answer.
"I also look back to that interview in 2018 where I comment that I would keep working with James, and the truth is that I have not and I do not plan to right now," he shared with The Sunday Times. He added: "I don't know if I can define that right now during this interview. I can say it, um, you know, it has changed many things in our relationship and our dynamic." Their dynamic and relationship may have changed, but Seth isn't looking for people to dwell on it. The situation may be painful, "But not as painful and difficult as it is for a lot of other people involved," he said, claiming he has "no pity for myself in this situation." It's great that he recognises that he's not the victim and it's about time he addresses the James Franco situation, however, he still owes Charlyne a true apology.